Sunday, February 21, 2010

What's Your Sign?

I have seen A LOT of stupid anti-choice signs, posters, comics, etc over the years. Here are some of my favorites:


So... you were designed by God? Cool. I heard God designed a lot of stuff. Trees. Grass. Animals. Bagels. Apparently World War II? Isn't everything in the world a part of "God's Design"? If it's so bad to kill stuff God designed, why do you eat meat? And kill doctors?


AH! Yes, Mary. Full of life. The lady who magically became pregnant without having sex. She is definitely a good example of a normal woman's circumstance. I will definitely not have an abortion if I get pregnant without having sex.


EVERY baby is a blessing? What about the 12 year old who is pregnant with her father's child? That strikes me as unfortunate.


Ok, this is actually pretty good. Hahaha.


Well, people who supported slavery also supported the disenfranchisement of women. And anyone else who wasn't a white dude. Also just because I was born doesn't really mean I should therefore decide if other women get to carry unwanted pregnancies to term?


Um. Well first off all, nobody has elective third trimester abortions. NOBODY. And women aren't flippantly going around having abortions. It's a deeply emotional, difficult decision. So yeah....

3 comments:

  1. There are no "spur of the moment" abortions, and certainly not in the 2nd trimester. I bet most of those are done when there are either severe fetal defects (that would either result in a stillbirth or death shortly after birth), or of course if the pregnant woman is severely ill. I can't imagine how hard it would be to lose a wanted child for either reason (or any other reason) so late in the pregnancy, and only someone with no sense of compassion (like, you know, an antichoicer) would make light of such a grave situation. And they say we are heartless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha, about Mary, also - I wonder why most people don't seem to remember that she supposedly ASSENTED to carry the pregnancy - hasn't anyone actually read the story? An angel informs her that she's been chosen to bear God's son (creepy), "blessed is the fruit of your womb" yadda, and then Mary is like "yes I will do this thing because I am the handmaid of the lord and etc". Wouldn't this mean that even the story of the Messiah's birth involved the will of his mother to carry him? Just wondering why this is never acknowledged.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate anti ads. There was a billboard in my town that showed tons of little babies in a basket + it read, "God's stimulus package." Ugh.

    ReplyDelete

This is not a debate forum -- there are hundreds of other sites for that. This is a safe space for abortion care providers and one that respects the full spectrum of reproductive choices; comments that are not in that spirit will either wind up in the spam filter or languish in the moderation queue.