Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Staying Afloat

I work in an abortion clinic, I'm over worked, underpaid, and generally just sort of trying to stay afloat in a backwater madhouse. I have worked at my job for nearly 2 years and I have not had a raise or any paid time off, yet my responsibilities have quadroopled. I'm tired and burned out. The administration at my job feels the business is struggling so much they just can't afford employee incentives, so instead they have good employees who get burned out in short periods of time and leave.

When I consider trying to write about my job and the experiences I have in providing abortion care I just want to scream and curse out everyone.

The anti-abortion movement is clearly really well organized. They have created websites that list abortion providers names and addresses, they terrorize suppliers, and physicians who have any professional relationships with abortion providers even if they aren't providing. Its really sick. They have successfully infiltrated the department of health and hospitals and thus inhibited women's access to abortion in the state where I live and work. I feel like I'm telling them they are winning because I know some sick radical anti is probably reading this now.

I may work longer hours and feel overwhelmed but women who don't want to be pregnant are still finding ways to terminate even given all the obstacles anti-abortion nuts are trying to create. Clinics are still staying open and finding ways to stay in business. I guess I try to operate with a certain level of faith that because abortion should be available and accessible it will continue to be even if access isn't exactly accessible.

I pray to live in a world where abortion is a medical procedure that someone may opt to have. People will some how finally realize someone else's pregnancy and the outcome of their pregnancy is just none of anyone's damn business.

4 comments:

  1. Stay strong love,
    I pray for such a world too. But it'll be a while coming. We can still make it possible now even if we can't make it reality until later.
    Just keep hanging in for as long as you can. And when you are burn out, tell us so one of us can take over for you.
    I'd love to be able to help women like you do.
    Please keep safe and keep yourself lit with a high fire under your passions to help women.
    Thank you so much for everything you do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for you kind words. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Take care and hang in there--you're not alone. We're with you.

    ReplyDelete

This is not a debate forum -- there are hundreds of other sites for that. This is a safe space for abortion care providers and one that respects the full spectrum of reproductive choices; comments that are not in that spirit will either wind up in the spam filter or languish in the moderation queue.