Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Because I'm Blessed


Often times we talk about the challenges we face in our jobs. We shed light on the difficulties we face in the world due to our jobs. Sometimes we write about funding and policy. We write about patients' joy and tears, we write about our own tears. I would like to take a moment to acknowledge some of the things in my life that make me thankful to be an abortioneer:

  • I feel needed every time I make an appointment for a woman and/or help her figure out how to make the logistics of state laws and clinic schedules work for her needs.
  • I sort of get off on the "shock value" of saying exactly where I work and what I do, especially when the shocked individual is someone who annoys me anyway.
  • I'm working in a field where I see room for professional growth and I am learning valuable skills every day.
  • I learned to speak spanish with some fluidity through work in abortion care.
  • I figured out that I have a strong interest in health sciences, when I spent most of my life scared to attempt any academic coarse in the physical/biological sciences.
  • I am more in touch with my own body, sexuality, and health because of the knowledge I have gained working in abortion provision.
  • I'm thankful for each and every patient because I am constantly learning life lessons from each of those women.
  • I like my job, each day I go to work with out dreading the day ahead of me.
I'm sure I could find 100 more blessing that are related to or because of my job. Its so important to count our blessings every day, especially when you live a life that is so scrutinized by so many different people.

What are you thankful for?

2 comments:

  1. I loved this post. It's important to speak of the downfalls of of being in abortion work (protestors, threats, etc) but it's also important to speak of the positives, too. I know what you mean by #2. I'm not a provider yet, but whenever people ask me what I'm going to do there's still the shock value factor :-P. If it's someone who I already dislike, I secretly sort of hope that they're an anti so I can get them off my back ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love this post! sparky, you rock, thank you for bringing it all back to our blessings :)

    ReplyDelete

This is not a debate forum -- there are hundreds of other sites for that. This is a safe space for abortion care providers and one that respects the full spectrum of reproductive choices; comments that are not in that spirit will either wind up in the spam filter or languish in the moderation queue.