Monday, June 20, 2011

Something from Fox News that isn't blasphemy!





Check out this article about the health benefits of masturbating. Sexual health encompasses so much. Unwanted pregnancies, STDs, contraception, and safety are all really important aspects of sexual well being. As a sex educator I know that sexual health is also about learning to enjoy sex in a safe manner. Its about unlearning that sex is dirty, nasty, shameful, and dangerous. I believe one the most important parts of a healthy sexuality is being able to enjoy your own body.

At work I am a sexual educator. The other day a patient said to me, "I don't know how I get pregnant, he never cum inside of me." I responded by explaining that sometimes there are sperm that come out before the man ejaculates and maybe she should consider condoms or hormonal birth control. Each day I am dispelling myths and teaching women about how sex functions. But masturbation is never a topic of conversation with patients. I wish there were a space for people to get accurate information about masturbation -- the safest form of sex!

People are taught from a very young age that self-pleasure is shameful. Based on my own experience, I believe women are taught to feel like masturbation is an act of desperation. When in actuality a healthy sexuality begins with understanding your own body and sexual responses. Self-pleasure is related to power and liberation. When a woman can please herself and knows that it's healthy to do so, I believe we as women also begin to stop looking to external sources for validation.





3 comments:

  1. I occasionally get to talk about oral sex, anal sex, "heavy petting" (i don'
    t like that phrase) and partner-masturbation. Some patients firmly believe that they will take a path of abstinence after their procedure... I try not to make assumptions, but personally I feel it's unrealistic, so I will start a conversation about non-penile/vaginal or non-penetrative sex and all the options that affords.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see people make abstinence vows. Then I'm like girl, that ship has sailed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am 33 years old. I however don't always use the term masturbation. Because I have had personal health issues from risk of ovarian cyst and menorrhagia-metorrphaigia, as dysmorrhora often called painful periods. I have used the term self vaginal massage because it's therapeutic for pain. Masturbation for some people use the term even state that can be therapeutic. I'm also a virgin in my thirties. I believe in sexual abstinence because it is very safe that way.

    ReplyDelete

This is not a debate forum -- there are hundreds of other sites for that. This is a safe space for abortion care providers and one that respects the full spectrum of reproductive choices; comments that are not in that spirit will either wind up in the spam filter or languish in the moderation queue.