Wednesday, May 30, 2012

My little coat hanger

I wear a little coat hanger pendant because I support abortion rights. The coat hanger represents a dark time in history during which pregnant people who did not want to be pregnant - and I mean really, REALLY did not want to be pregnant - resorted to painful and dangerous means to terminate their pregnancies. These included: drinking strange herbal concoctions, introducing chemicals into the vagina, intentionally falling down stairs or receiving punches to the stomach, and penetrating the uterus with coat hangers. I'm not sure that the coat hanger was the preferred method of self-induced abortion or if it was even that common, but it was gruesome. I mean, can you even imagine? Your cervix gets the heebie-jeebies from a mere cotton swab! So when we invoke the coat hanger, it's intended to a) scare the crap out of you so you don't forget what it's like when abortion is inaccessible, and b) remember the suffering and the sacrifice of those people who died for the opportunity to control their fertility. If I were one for blasphemy, I'd say it's the pro-choice equivalent of a crucifix.

I generally don't wield symbols. I have no tattoos, few bumper stickers, and even fewer politically motivated T-shirts. However, those that I do rock are all pro-choice. It's what I believe in. It's my religion. It's not one of the Big Three, but we've got a very strong following (1 in 3 women, in fact). Often, when others see my little coat hanger pendant, we have a private conversation. I guess it's akin to what members of other secret societies have when they discover one another:

"What's with the coat hanger?" [barely perceptible eyebrow raise]
"It's a pro-choice symbol." [nod of affirmation]
"Aaaaahhhhhhh...." [slight up-turning of the lip]

There's the odd blissful ignoramus:

"What a cute little coat hanger! Is that because you like fashion?"

I cringe a little, and imagine that 40 years ago someone's couture ended up on the floor because its hanger had a greater purpose. (I instantly forgive the offense though, recalling my own stupidity in telling a girl one sunny Ash Wednesday that she had a little schmutz). I can't blame them. It's a nice place to be at. I used to be ignorant once, and I lived a pretty happy life. But now that I'm here and can never turn back, I pay homage and I wear my little coat hanger. And I hope to receive many more winks and head nods and acknowledgments that our secret society is not, in fact, so secret after all. 

10 comments:

  1. I wear one as well, and let me tell you - the antis hate it. It's one of the most common comments on my youtube videos. I can't help but point out that the cross that they use is a device used for torture and murder...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well hey NessaC, there's no need for unkind words, (a) ever and (b) especially when missing the point. Obviously Katie's "used for torture and murder" and your "meant to remember that our god was tortured" aren't mutually exclusive characterizations.

      More to the point, the coat-hanger is meant to REMEMBER that OUR SISTERS (mothers, grandmothers, childless aunts, neighbors, teachers, counterparts in other places or times) were tortured for the sake of THE SQUISHY BEAN inside of them.

      That's what the foregoing post is about. But I'm not calling anyone names, see?

      Delete
  2. They often provide them at pro-choice events in exchange for a donation. For example, the DC Abortion Fund provides one to monthly donors. Sign up here! http://dcabortionfund.org/donate/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have one that I wear as well! I was going to buy one of the ones that non-profits sell as a fundraiser, but they were always sold out! Then, one day I walked outside my apartment and there was a tiny hanger lodged in the dirt! It was a bit dirty, but after some TLC it was like new. Definitely fate that brought that hanger into my life...ha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, AA and Katie -- you two are awesome. Why did I never think of that crucifix analogy before?! Growing up surrounded by Catholicism, you'd think I would have...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I frequently wear a button that has the universal "no" symbol, a red circle with a slash, that has a hanger in it. Great conversation starter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd LOVE to have one of these pendants!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I started seeing this as a small tattoo on people and wondered what it meant...so glad I found it now!! And thanks for the people whom gave a link to get a necklace to support. I would love eventually get a small one tattooed on me (I only have a small hidden heart) because this is an amazing cause that everyone should have the right to make a choice about what does, and does not happen to their bodies.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This whole post hits my heart. I'm with you. 100% .To the end. 💜❤️

    ReplyDelete

This is not a debate forum -- there are hundreds of other sites for that. This is a safe space for abortion care providers and one that respects the full spectrum of reproductive choices; comments that are not in that spirit will either wind up in the spam filter or languish in the moderation queue.